Preparing for an audition, for a production or drama school, can be a lonely activity, sometimes you need an outside eye to help you find your way through the piece and to help you achieve your best work.
Nowadays, more often than not, actors are asked to audition with readings (prepared or sight-read), so to do some work beforehand with someone else can be an enormous help.
As useful as preparing pre-assigned text can be actors also need to be lithe, imaginative and responsive to direction, able to improvise around or on the material and be confident enough, and astute enough, to know when and how to contribute their individual take.
Why am I qualified to help you?
- I have over 25 years experience in the theatre as an actor and director.
- I understand, as both an actor and a director, what the audition process feels like.
- I understand that auditions are part of the job of acting and that they should be creative and enjoyable.
- I enjoy working with actors to help them find their own way to make their best work.
- I enjoy working with those who are nervous at auditions, who are looking to find a new energy for auditioning, who feel they are not performing at their best or who just want a fresh take on their work.
How I can help
- Everything comes from character – We will work to understand the character you are preparing and find how that connects with your vocal production and presentation.
- A speech is not just vocal – The whole body affects how your character sounds so we will work on getting your body to connect with the piece and make your character a full physical presence.
- A speech or reading is just one part of the play – We will discuss the play and how your character and the particular section you’re working on fits into the whole.
- It has to be in your heart as well as your head – Theatre is a complex mix of the emotional and the intellectual , all too often we can get stuck in the head, we will work to get the heart and head combined.
- Theatre is about how you affect an audience – We will work to get the character, and what her/him is saying, out of you, across the space and connecting with the audience.
- An audition is not just the speech or reading – You are auditioned from the moment you walk into a room,what you say, how you say it, what you talk about. We will look at ways to present yourself better.
REMEMBER: An audition is the first part of the creative and collaborative relationship.
Location and Fees
I am based in Manchester
I can also travel. Minimum booking of 2 hours (There will be an additional charge)
1 hour – £40
2 hours – £70